Monday, February 4, 2013

Why isn't a pillow between knees enough?

Hi Sue,
When you are sleeping on your side, putting a pillow between your knees is touted by many to be good at helping you sleep more comfortably and awake more refreshed. Unfortunately that is only a part of the solution. Putting a pillow at the knee cushions the knees and keeps them from pressing against each other, but you still get the "drag" from the lower leg and foot which then puts strain on the topside knee and radiates up into the hip and lower back. A better pillow arrangement for alleviating knee and back pain is to make sure the pillow goes from just above the knee all the way down to include supporting the toes. This keeps the legs parallel to each other which greatly reduces any strain on the knees and hips. Try this pillow arrangement and see if it doesn't help make the night more comfortable and the morning start-up easier.
Thanks for asking,
Linda

2 comments:

  1. I do that, and I still have horrible hip pain after about 5 hours in bed. Can't sleep on my back for other reasons. I'm getting desperate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janie, Since I don't know what else is going on with your back I can't really address your individual situation. If you'd like to give me a call sometime I'd be most happy to talk with you and see how I might best be able to help you. 602-505-0039 Have a great day! Linda

    ReplyDelete